Sunday, October 23, 2011

Inspired by ...Soup!





I never was a big soup eater until becoming vegan. Maybe because I just couldn't seem to make a decent soup. But no more. I love soup- and it's great to make a pot to have for quick dinners. It also freezes well. And I have gotten pretty good at making soup. I've even made up a few of my own recipes: http://terrabakery.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html


Roasted Cauliflower Soup

and Bruschetta Soup (which I will have to make again and write down more precise ingredient amounts).

Bruschetta Soup

  I've also adapted several to my own taste like Sara Moulton's Cauliflower Caraway Soup, Farmhouse Vegetable Soup from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet, and Chickpea Potato Soup.


Old pic of Farmhouse Vegetable Soup
And then there are my "go to" soup recipes that I make over and over again:

Farmhouse Vegetable Soup from Vegan Planet (with changes)

Black Bean Soup from American Vegan Kitchen (thanks Tami for this recipe! It always gets rave reviews).

Cream of Broccoli Soup from The Chicago Diner Cookbook. It's the last broccoli soup recipe you'll ever need. Seriously- I've attempted many and they just were missing something. This one is so simple- but absolutely delicious.

Greens and Beans Soup from Robin Robertson's 1,000 Vegan Recipes. This is another simple but delicious soup- plus it comes together and cooks very quickly. Sometimes I add some fennel seeds to give it a "sausagy" flavor. One of my all time favorites!
Beans and Greens Soup  



Didn't have enough beans so added quinoa too.
Chickpea Noodle Soup from Veganomicon. This soup is soooo good! 


Lebanese Lentil Soup with Lemon and Orzo http://blogs.poughkeepsiejournal.com/dishnthat/2009/12/30/lentils-bring-luck-for-new-year/#comments

And you would never know it- but all of these soups are fat free! (not all started out that way, but I always saute the veggies in water or broth instead of olive oil for soup.) You'll never miss it. Seriously, have you ever had a great bowl of soup and thought-"hmm, it's missing something" then proceed to pour olive oil into it? I didn't think so. And I'd rather save the fat for something that you would notice. Like french fries :) or this-


Coconut Cream Pie
What do you think? Are any of these on your "go to" list? What is your favorites soup recipe?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment